Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Super Mom or Abiding Mom?

In the course of being pregnant, raising twins, then deciding to home-school, I’ve been called a “Super Mom”. It’s a popular term that I think pretty much describes any mother who has a child or children and manages to keep them from running into traffic most of the time. This mothering thing is no joke. It’s a daily, 24-7, 365 thing for at least 18 years, but really I think it’s for the rest of our lives. They’ll never stop being our babies and we’ll never stop wanting the best for them. I’m never quite sure what to think of the Super Mom label…is it really a compliment or have I lost focus? Does it mean I’m trying too hard? Am I doing these things to impress people? These questions were rattling around in my brain and then I came across this great graphic from www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com that paints a clearer picture of my role as a mom in God’s eyes. Just read through the Super Mom list first, you’ll need a strong drink after it thinking of having to live up to all those expectations (if you aren’t pregnant, of course). Now, read through the “Abiding Mom” side and I find the comfort and peace of knowing that I am in the Lord and He in me through this journey of motherhood. I know that however much I fret about lesson plans, curriculum or whether or not to take a sick baby to the doctor, He is in control.

Here’s a printable version…

Super Mom-Abiding Mom016

P.S. I like the last one on “Abiding Mom” side. “Her children arise and call her blessed.” Ahhh…doesn’t that sound nice? I’ll have to keep praying on that one because my children arise and beg for a diaper change and breakfast.

1 comment:

Spence Ohana said...

Great post and great list. I've been called a Super Mom before, and although I know others say it as a compliment - I don't like to be thought of as one who is trying to impress others, is discouraged by failure or expects perfection. I mean who is perfect? No one. And we should learn and gain wisdom from our failures - not be discouraged by them. So I love the list of the "Abiding Mom". The Holy Spirit definitely helps us with our maternal calling. I think Mary is the best role model for mothers, because she said "Yes" to God when she could have said "No". Mary displayed the fullest extent of the maternal calling by becoming the Mother of Christ. As mothers we all need to strive to be "Abiding Moms". And it's not to impress God, but to please Him and be thankful to Him for seeing us fit to be the mothers of our children.