Monday, June 13, 2011

RIP Scrapbooking

P6130015

It’s been a long-time coming, but it’s time to say goodbye to scrapbooking forever. Really, what has kept me going this long is the 50+ scrapbooks that my Grandma Brown did during her lifetime. Before scrapbooking was a popular hobby I remember her sitting at her kitchen table sticking all the pictures in with those little corner thingies. She always did them on black paper, so she had a silver pen to write with and I always wanted to use that silver pen, but she never let me :( . We used to laugh at my grandma because she would take pictures of pictures on the wall. But, now as and adult, I understand her desire to preserve all the wonderful memories of life. She was a meticulous record keeper and probably would have loved to blog, or at least read mine :)

I did my first scrapbooking page 11 years ago during my senior year of college. I actually remember sitting up all night at my apartment in Roanoke, IL (where I student taught) because I loved this hobby so much. Since then I’ve completed 10 full albums. But, with a fourth child coming, I just don’t have the time to keep up with it. And, I don’t have the brainpower to get into digi-scrapping. But, I do love taking pictures and preserving memories, so I hope to do that with this blog. It’s easy, mess free and money free….what more could you want? In the time it takes me to scrapbook one little page I can write an entire post about our week. We’re planning on getting a nice new camera sometime soon and I’ll try to recruit one of my photography gals to teach me a little something. Also, I’ve been writing more here and really enjoying it. I’ll be the first to admit that I stink at grammar, so I’m not even going to try. In high school they kept putting me in advanced placement English classes and I never understood why because I never understood all the million grammar rules. So, I’m just going to write what comes to my mind. And, it does help to know that people are actually reading this. So, make a comment every now and then so I know I’m not just talking to myself.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

You're not talking to yourself!! I recently made the same switch. It took so much pressure and stress off of me. (pressure and stress that I put on myself!). Great post!

Spence Ohana said...

Scrapbooking does take a lot of time and creative thinking. I did one for Madeline's first year. But then after that I started a babies online webpage for her, and a babies online journal when I got pregnant with James. After James was born I started our family blog, and have been blogging ever since. It's way quicker and easier. There are even companies that can print your blog posts out in a book. I have friend who print one every year of their favorite posts that year, or they print one for each child of the posts about them. Thank goodness for the digital age!

Jen said...

I love blogging. It has come to the rescue the last two years too. Beka and Jared each had to do a project at school telling important things they had done for each year. Without the blog I would have been lost.