Friday, December 9, 2011

Gingerbread House Fun!

This morning we had a playdate with friends to decorate gingerbread houses and had so much fun. This year I decided to bump it up a notch and graduate from graham crackers on little milk cartons to real gingerbread. I have always been fascinated with house these things are put together and thought I’d give it a try. The recipe for the dough is very simple, but the construction of the house was a little more difficult. I printed the recipe, templates and instructions from The Ultimate Gingerbread site.

PC090003

Aaron with his friends Ian and Isabella. They couldn’t (and didn’t) wait to start eating pieces of their houses.

PC090005

I glued the gingerbread pieces together with sugar glue, which is just a cup of sugar melted over medium low heat. I’m glad I took the advice I read and had a bowl of ice water nearby in the inevitable case that a beginner gets blazing hot melted sugar on her finger. Ouch! It dries very quickly and made the houses very sturdy.

PC090006

I passed on making my own icing and just bought cans of white cake frosting from the store. It dries hard and works great!

PC090008

The gingerbread creator with his creation. So glad we are starting this tradition! I hope it continues each year and we can make our houses more and more elaborate.

No comments: