Monday, September 29, 2008

Big Boy Bed

I knew it would happen eventually, I was just hoping to hold it off a few more months. But, Aaron had other plans when he climbed right out of his crib when I put him down for a nap Sunday afternoon. I think it was that Curious George episode he watched right before...gave him bad ideas. He knew enough to not come out of his room, but I heard him playing (very quietly) with his train table. When I put him back in the crib, of course, he climbed right back out. I did make him stay in his room for about an hour before he could come out. He seemed to be having a lot of fun playing in his dark quiet room. I, however, was not ready to engage in a power struggle of staying in bed, and definately was not ready to give up my...I mean his...afternoon nap time.

So, after giving up on the nap, Greg and I foraged through the storage unit looking for the toddler bed conversion stuff. I was dreading bed time that evening, which is probably why I put it off until an our past his usual time. Side note: how do kids have more energy when they've skipped a nap? But, bed time actually went okay. I think he was a little confused on what he was supposed to do. He got out of bed a couple of times and tried to play in his room, but scurried right back into bed when I told him to. He did finally fall asleep, but woke up screaming on the floor about 12:00 am. As you can see from the picture, the side rails are fairly useless when the child sleeps in the middle of the bed. I decided to give it another try, but I might have to invest in some more side rails. I really felt like a bad mom when nothing in the world could console him except his favorite TV show. What happened to my little baby who just needed some cuddles and soft singing? After a little Spider Patch, he did go back to sleep, but woke up early at 6:40. Fortunately, nap time went really well this afternoon, no falling out at all. So, I guess my little boy is making yet another transition into a big boy. 3 more weeks until his 2nd birthday!

No comments: